Monday, July 28, 2008

Want to Build Your Own Home Made Water Purifier?

By Jim Riley

If you're like me, sometime in your life you said to yourself, I could make that. I don't need to spend good money on something that I could build myself! For instance, a home made water purifier. Heck, what could be so complicated about it? A little sand, some rocks, a piece of cheesecloth.

For a few bucks, I could build what others are paying hundreds of dollars for. And my water will taste just as good and be just as safe as the commercial water filters out there. So I go to work building my home made water filter. After a few hours, or even a few days, I call my wife in to see my new engineering marvel. She isn't as impressed as I am with myself at building my home made water purifier. Guess she has seen my other attempts at building to save money.

She is even less impressed when she tastes the end product of my brain child. She said it tastes the same as the water coming out of the tap. She walks away shaking her head. But that doesn't kill the dream of this would be inventor.

Does this sound like an excerpt from your life? I'm sure many of you have been successful with home made projects. But does the home made water purifier fit into a good do-it-yourself category?

Let's take a close look.

The E.P.A states that there are over 2300 toxic and potentially cancer causing chemicals in our water supplies. Many of the water treatment plants are old and out of date. They are doing a poor job of filtering our water supply so we have safe healthy water. Most of them treat the water with Chlorine to kill bacteria.

This not only makes the water taste bad, but some bacteria is resistant to chlorine and still lives in our water supply. Not to mention all of the chemicals that filter into our water from factories and runoff of lawn chemicals from our yards.

Does your Home Made Water Purifier have a chance in getting rid of any of these culprits? Does it have a chance of removing more than small particles of rust and dirt? Let's look a little more at what is in our water.

Our water supplies have many good things in them, like trace minerals which include zinc, potassium, calcium and magnesium, which our bodies need daily. Unfortunately, they also have chemicals and lead, that even our water treatment plants don't remove.

Many of these plants use sand to filter, then just add chlorine. Nothing better than a swimming pool filter. Do you like that taste of swimming pool water?

What chance does your home made water purifier have against all these tough components.

There are many types of water filters and purifiers on the market. All of them do more than make the water taste better. Some, like the reverse osmosis filters, even remove the good trace mineral that I spoke of earlier. Multistage filtration seems to cover the areas which benefit us the most. And all do more than our home made water purifier.

Some food for thought!

Is your families heath worth saving a couple bucks and creating no more than a 6th grade science project. Will your home made water purifier remove the chemicals and pollutants that threaten your families health. Give it some thought. In my opinion, my families health is worth alot more than that. In fact, it's priceless!

No comments: